EGDC Deployment Guidelines – Workshop for the smart cities sector
12 July 2023 | 14:00 - 16:00 CEST
This workshop will bring together developers, providers and buyers/users of digital solutions with the potential to enable a positive net carbon impact* for the Smart Cities sector, as well as sustainable finance representatives, sectorial experts and policy makers to gather their insights and co-create the contents of the Deployment Guidelines that will be developed by the European Green Digital Coalition (EGDC) European Parliament Pilot Project.
The Deployment Guidelines will provide recommendations for the Smart Cities sector to:
- Maximise carbon, resource and energy savings via the use of digital solutions,
- Minimise a solution’s emissions as well as other potential negative impacts on the climate,
- Define metrics and track them to understand the solutions’ impact,
- Understand other sustainability impacts of the solutions, e.g., health or social impacts.
* Digital Solutions with the potential to enable a positive net carbon impact are technologies that can help users avoid or reduce climate-harming greenhouse gas emissions, usually through a reduction or avoidance of resource use (e.g. fuel, electricity, raw materials, etc.).
14:00 Welcome & Introduction
Sebastiano Toffaletti, Secretary General, European DIGITAL SME Alliance
14:10 EGDC Case study for the Smart Cities sector: Integrated Operations Center (IOC) for Nicosia Municipality by Nokia
Tim Fright, Nokia
14:20 Presentation: EGDC Deployment guidelines for the Smart Cities sector: aims, structure
Beatriz Fialho da Silva, The Carbon Trust & Phoebe Whittome, Deloitte UK
14:30 Breakout sessions: round 1 (Two breakout sessions running in parallel.)
Interactive discussion on “Maximising net carbon impact from the implementation of digital solutions while minimising emissions from the solution itself, as well as rebound effects and other potential negative impact on the climate”
15:00 Plenary presentation and discussion of the breakout results
15:10 Breakout sessions: round 2
Two breakout sessions running in parallel.
- Session 1: Measuring net carbon impacts: Selecting the most relevant metrics and tracking effectively
- Session 2: Beyond greenhouse gas emissions: Wider sustainability impacts
15:35 Plenary presentation and discussion of the breakout results
15:45 Overview of the European Commission’s strategy for sustainable Smart Cities
Gabriela Ruseva, Project Coordinator, Living-in EU
15:55 Wrap-up and next steps